MODIFIED SPLIT AND LIFT
Modern Pillar Extraction
Rules and Procedures for BLS operation
- Only the miner driver and one other workman shall stand between the miner & the BLS’s position whilst the lift is being taken.
- Only one BLS to be lowered and moved at any one time.
- Always lower the rear legs first to allow any debris to fall back into goaf.
- The BLS units are not to be moved more than 2 metres from each other at any time, (except when flitting). This means that in some situations it may be necessary to “leap frog” the units to reach the desired results.
- The BLS units are to be moved between lifts such that at any instant, any 2 canopies overlap a minimum of 2m in the direction of retreat.
- ALWAYS ENSURE that the units are clear of the roof before tramming forward. (Check that the pressure gauge reads zero.)
- Prior to taking a lift, the BLS’s are to be set not more than 2m from the ribline of the lift about to be taken.
- The BLS units are to be set a maximum of 4m from the miner (as shown in figure 2)
- Keep slack floor coal to a minimum as this improves the ease of use of the units, this may require a cleanup pass prior to completion of any lift.
- The BLS units are to be operated from one cable and jumper cables are to be used to power the second and third BLS’s.
- IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL CARE IS TAKEN TO ENSURE THAT CABLES ARE NOT DAMAGED.
- The main feeder to the BLS’s is to be hung from mesh or bolts of the roadway to be lifted.
- Under heavy roof conditions the BLS units are only to be advanced 1m at a time. Contact advance may be required under some extreme circumstances. Pressure on contact advance should register in the green zone on the pressure gauge.
- The operator is to ensure all persons are in a safe position clear of the BLS units before moving them.
- The operator is to ensure that the BLS units are set as vertical to the roof as possible, to avoid damage and to ensure that maximum support is maintained.
- When setting a BLS to the roof, the front legs are set first. Any roof bolt heads which break off are then deflected into the goaf, away from personnel.
- All BLS’s to be operational prior to commencing any lift.